Post-practice reaction, 8/6
Here's a roundup:
- WR DeAngelo Benton and CB Demond Washington spent the entire practice on the field today. You know how the team has been splitting into two groups -- one on the field and one in the weight room? Not for those two. Gene Chizik said he's just trying to give assistant coaches more time to assess those two guys.
- OL Aubrey Phillips confirmed that his friend (and Auburn signee) Daren Bates has been cleared by the NCAA. Bates is supposed to begin his college career tomorrow.
- Auburn moves to "shells" (shoulder pads and helmets) for practice tomorrow. Chizik didn't seem dead-set on getting his team into full pads ASAP. ``We'll just wait and play it by ear and see what the health of our team is," he said.
- LB Joshua Bynes on fellow LB Eltoro Freeman, who now is working with the No. 1 defense at weak-side linebacker: ``He’s still about the same to me. He’s still the type of guy who doesn’t like to mess up. He likes to be perfect. He’s still fast. He’s electrifying to watch and every drill he does, he likes to be full speed."
- Bynes had some not-so-nice things to say about former defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads' defensive approach. Rhoads now is head coach at Iowa State. I hear that's a plum job; a place for winners.
Anyway, here's how Bynes described the difference between Rhoads and current Auburn defensive czar Ted Roof: ``Roof is the type of guy who will let us go full speed. If you miss, at least you miss full speed. Rhoads was the type who wanted us to break down and make sure we make the proper tackle."
Photo credit: Todd Van Emst/Auburn University