Thursday Night LIVE
Hey everyone. We're listening to Tiger Talk, coach Gene Chizik's weekly radio show, and watching Florida State @ North Carolina on ESPN.
Please stand and sing.
TIGER TALK TIDBITS
- On practice: This team is very resilient. They've always really bounced back. They're really excited to go to Baton Rouge and play there. How can you not be?
- How is the mood: "This is football. You've got to know you have to take the bad with the good. We've had plenty of good. We move on. You have to have a short memory either way."
- Season is still meaningful?: ``We still have so much to play for. We're a good football team."
- Stan from Haleyville, who was at the UK game, wants to know how Chizik handles a team that's short on players: ``We're good. We know we're going to battle 'em every week. We have a football team that I really like. We've got a resilient team."
- Roy from Atmore, who has no eligibility remaining, wants to know about recruiting: ``We're going to be there."
- Donnie from Cullman wants to know ... nothing. No question. : ``We have the best fans in the country. You are evidence of that."
- Now he has a question. He wants to know how calm he is, really, during games: ``I'm involved with pretty much everything. I've hired great coaches. I've got to let them do their job. It's just like when I was a coordinator -- I wanted to be able to do my job. We definitely have dialog going on during the game."
- Curtis wants his friend Nick to say something to Chizik. Nick says War Eagle. Question was kinda about Trooper Taylor being less active: ``I haven't seen many days when he's slowed down."
- Facebook question from Matt ... about blitzing: ``We feel good about trying to pressure LSU some. You've got to be very prudent about when you choose to do it and how you choose to do it."
- Jeff from Dothan wants to know about the team's weak tackling ... and he wants to know why it's happening in the first quarter: ``Our tackling, obviously as we've said numerous weeks, we have to get better at it. We're getting them into positions where they can make the tackles. There's times when we're just overpursuing. We've got a lot of room for improvement."
- On Aairon Savage: ``He's great. He's a great, great motivator for our kids."
- On Eltoro: "We're looking forward to seeing him play this weekend."
- Steve from Hueytown wants to know why Ziemba is jumping offside: ``Great question. Let's not limit that to Lee Ziemba, OK? It's not just him. We've had way too many penalties on both sides of the ball. We do what we need to do to address the problem. The last two games have been penalty-fests. We've addressed that at practice. We've addressed it in team meetings. We've just got to deliver on Saturday night."
- On the energy at Tiger Stadium: ``This is the SEC. You've got to deal with the noise level. There's going to be 92,000 there and loud and wild and the whole deal. That's what makes the league great."
- Doug on a cell phone is meandering about the offense and the Meerkat Manor stuff and he believes it causes a momentum change. He says the defense adjusts every time you do it. He also wants to know if Chris Todd can do stuff: ``Chris Todd does a really nice job. Part of that is to rest the defense. We'll get up there ... and we'll slow the game down if we need to do that. We think it's a good thing."
- Eric from Facebook wants to know about opposing quarterbacks taking deep drops: ``There are times when their quarterbacks take deeper drops. That's usually on play-action passes. That's also with max protect. For us to be able to pressure these guys, we'll have to be able to do it with our defensive ends in four-man rush and the linebackers in blitz."
- On Hot Carter: ``He's getting healthier as the days go on."
- Charles from Homewood wants to know if Auburn does walk-throughs at visiting stadia ... and what they do on Friday nights: ``We have our walk-throughs before we leave on the plane. We try to do everything the same here -- whether it's a home game or an away game. We do the walk-through, we get on the plane and get to the venue. At the hotel, we try to make it very relaxing for them. We try to let them get away a little bit."
"A lot of people believe you need to take your young guys, the guys who haven't seen it, just so they can get the mystique out of their system. We've talked about doing that."
- Zeke from north Alabama wants to know why Josh Bynes is slow and why Dee Ford can't play linebacker: ``I like Dee Ford. I'll take that into high consideration."
- Nick from Webb (?), who is on a cell phone and barely audible, wants to know about Trooper Taylor: "That's probably not the case. He's great for our players. He's an excitable guy. He ain't changin'."
- Aaron from Tuscaloosa wants to know if Auburn will be wearing home colors: ``We'll be wearing away jerseys. That's what they have told me."
- Aaron also wants to know about Clinton Durst and why his kicks are ... not that great: ``He's been a little bit inconsistent in the games. That's a fact. He's been kicking well in practice. Inconsistent there, too. You can't pinpoint it to bad kicks. He's had his moments."
- Phillip from Alabaster was DOA.
- Steve from Headland, a big fan who loves everything Chizik is doing, wants to know why the tempo has changed so abrupt since the West Virginia game: ``I don't necessarily agree with that at all. Theer are times when we want to go high-tempo and there's times when we have to give the defense a break. It's a team game. You have to take things into consideration. We're going to continue to do what's best for us to win games."
- James from Opp wants to know why the pocket collapses so often and why Caudle doesn't play much: ``Here's the deal: We're first in the league in sacks given up. I don't think that's quite right, James. Is there pressure? Yes. That's going to happen with every football team. I'm really proud of our offensive line and the running games ... because they're involved with the protections. And the quarterbacks for getting the ball off."
- On the offensive line: He's just gushing all over the starters and reserves. "I think they've done a phenomenal job. Coach Grimes has those guys playing physical."
- He's gushing all over the Auburn-LSU series. ``The rivalries are all over the league."
- Stephen from Jacksonville wants to know why Auburn's punt-return team doesn't give the return man time to move ... and why Todd doesn't find open receivers: "We've done both. We've rushed the punter. We've held up. We've mixed it up. We're just trying to make sure we've got a guy back there who can catch it. On Chris ... I can show you a lot of (passes) he did hit."
- Phillip from Alabaster, who seems out of breath, is back from the dead and he wants to know why the Wildcat formation doesn't work very well: ``We've got a whole plethora of things we can do with the Wildcat. With the naked eye, it make look like the same runs. We've studied the game film. We don't just haphazardly decide when to run it. It all goes back to execution. If it's not executed well, it's not going to work. We feel good about it."
"Execution is the name of the game."
- Bubba from Newville, an Auburn man, wants Chizik to give 'em hell. No question: ``We're going to continue to grow Auburn men."
- Keith from Dothan, who is glad Chiz is back in Auburn, wants to know about getting up for LSU or something: ``They've been great. When you play the game of football, you've got to move on and have a short memory -- whether you win or lose."
- "I promise our football team will fight."
- That's a wrap.