Jimbo Fisher speaks
- I've been hearing your name a lot? What's it been like being such a hot name?
I've learned in this business -- rumors and speculation will happen and you just have to go on. I haven't had any contact with Auburn and neither has my agent. Auburn hasn't contacted me or my agent. It's flattering. It's great that I'm thought of for a job as highly thought of as Auburn's job.
- In light of what your president (T.K. Wetherell) said, are you surprised that your name keeps coming up?
In today's times, nothing surprises me. The internet has changed the world. The fans all talk. If it's written on the internet, it must be true. The world has changed.
- Are you going to be coaching at FSU next year?
Whenever Coach Bowden retires, I'll …
- I mean next season. You'll be at FSU next season?
Yes. I'm planning on being at Florida State. That's where we plan on being.
- What did you think about Wetherell taking such a strong stance about you not leaving? That's good to hear as a coach, because the best thing that can happen to you in this business is to be wanted. I love coaching at Florida State. I mean that. I enjoy going to work, which is a blessing. I'm doing my best to be truthful with everyone about this. I've always felt like telling people the truth -- whether it's good or bad -- is the best thing. I love being at FSU and I'm planning to be (at FSU)."
- What did you think about Tuberville's situation?: "It's a sad thing for everyone. Everybody knows he did a good job. Change is going to happen regardless of where you are or how good you're doing. There's just so much money in college football now. Everybody wants a quick fix. They want everything to be great every single day. That's something that won't happen anymore. Auburn felt like they had to make a change. That's how things go."
BONUS QUOTE @ 9:30 p.m.: ``You never say never," Fisher said. ``This business is a crazy business. You never say never in this business. I know this -- I'm very happy where I am."
MY VIEW OF THIS: Another lukewarm denial. He's leaving plenty of wiggle room open here, though I expect that from a Jimmy Sexton client.
Photo credit: Lloyd Gallman/Montgomery Advertiser