Chizik speaks, first edition
A few hours from now, he'll hold his first (official) Auburn workout.
Here are a few thing he had to say about it.
On the positional battles: "Nobody inherits a position. Everybody will start new. Everybody has a new chance. We'll evaluate what they do today -- not what they did last year."
On the quarterbacks: "We'll have to look not necessarily at where they are today, but where they'll be four months from now."
On his decision to close most practices: "There's enough pressure on these guys already to deliver. We don't want any extra pressure."
On his role in practice: "I'll be moving around. I have a vested interest in the defense, of course, but I don't need to worry about micromanaging my defensive coaches."
On injuries: He said nothing of interest, aside from some excellent insight about how different players heal from different injuries at a different pace. Thanks.
- Justin Albert, the excellent scatback from Prattville, is on the roster and is healthy. He's expected to practice today. (Some of you all had asked.)
- TE/LB/DE Brent Slusher has taken a medical hardship and won't be practicing.
- Vance Smith has been moved from TE to OL. He's 6-2. I'm thinking guard.
- Mario Fannin is listed as a wideout on the official depth chart. I have been told that is a mistake, he remains at tailback.
- RB Onterio McCalebb will wear No. 23. He debuts on the Auburn roster at 5-10, 165.
- LB Eltoro Freeman will wear No. 21. He debuts on the Auburn roster at 5-11, 222.