Hey everyone. Practice has ended. Here are a few items of interest:
- Gene Chizik said Justin Albert is off the team. That's a wrap.
- Chizik said Pierre-Louis is on the team, but won't return until Aug. 16. That's when school starts. Chizik noted that Pierre-Louis' issue is not physical.
- Chizik said Terrance Coleman and Joshua Jackson, a pair of DT signees, have opted for junior college.
- Our friends at AuburnSports.com say S Daren Bates has gained quaification and will report on Thursday. That leaves DB Taikwon Paige as the only signee lacking firm plans for the fall.
- Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said he will choose a quarterback, one guy, to be The Man during the fall. He is not a two-quarterback guy.
- Practice was split into two shifts. Half the team spent 90 minutes on the field while the other half worked indoors on conditioning and weightlifting. At the half-way point, the two groups switched.
``Don’t read into it – there was no rhyme or reason," Chizik said of the personnel groupings. ``We split the squad up so we could basically have two practices and really focus on reps. We were just trying to be a little bit creative in the ways we can give guys reps, especially to find the young guys that might be able to help us."
- Malzahn said he'll start implementing the Wildcat formation stuff soon -- ie later this week.
- Robert Cooper, the 2009 signee from Daphne who was expected to grayshirt this season, has been moved to tight end. He is a receiverish tight end if you know what I mean. He now is on scholarship.
- OT Aubrey Phillips is a big boy, no doubt, but I was surprised by his (relatively meager) size. If you recall, FSU complained about Phillips' weight during the summer in Tallahassee. He looks like a standard, thick offensive lineman to me.