News of the day
Here is the latest information from Reporting Day:
- Information about S Aairon Savage's Achilles injury is scarce. After talking with his roommate, Walt McFadden, I'd say Savage's chances for playing time are small.
``I really don’t know what he’s going to do. I just know he’s been praying," he said.
- TB Ben Tate is noticeably leaner. He's not lighter ... just leaner.
- Gene Chizik said he has decided to practice during the evening because of his relatively limited number of players.
``You’ve got to be smart and there’s got to be some methods to the madness on when you’re doing what. You always want to beat the heat to the best of your ability, and you’ve got to be smart because you’re going to play some games in the heat, so they’ve got to have enough of it. But too much right now, you don’t want a player to go down with body cramps and they’re out for three or four days. There’s a fine line in there."
- TE Gabe McKenzie is back with the team after his spring respite. Fellow tight end Tommy Trott said McKenzie has been a consistent performer during voluntary summer workouts.
- S Mike McNeil is still out with his broken leg. S Zac Etheridge said McNeil was "like a coach" during voluntary summer workouts and isn't ready to play.
- That leaves your current safety group as Etheridge, sophomore Drew Cole, junior Mike Slade and redshirt freshman T'Sharvan Bell.
- Antonio Coleman had little information to offer about his nephew (and Auburn signee) Terrance Coleman, who still hasn't been cleared by the NCAA.
- QB Neil Caudle said he spent his summer almost exclusively in the Athletic Complex or on the fields out back. As for doing fun things, he said he was too tired to do much after football work. Bummer.
- OT Lee Ziemba said he feels better than ever right now.
- Several players, most notably Terrell Zachery and Tate, identified newcomer WRs DeAngelo Benton and Emory Blake as freshmen to watch.
From earlier in the day:
- DB Demond Washington has been cleared by the NCAA and will participate in the Tigers' first practice tomorrow.
- WR LaVoyd James, DB Izauea Lanier and DB Reggie Taylor are headed for junior college.
- DL Terrance Coleman and DB Taikwon Paige are in limbo. I don't expact them to qualify, but a small percentage of kids in this situation actually earn clearance. (ie Chris Slaughter 2007)
- Just saw DE Cam Henderson and WR Darvin Adams. I think it's safe to say Henderson is still on the team.
Photo credit: Todd Van Emst/Auburn University