Practice notes, 8/18
- Gene Chizik indicated LB Eltoro Freeman's most pressing physical issue is a hamstring; not the wrist issue that elicited a cast.
- WR Philip Pierre-Louis was on the field tonight in helmet and shorts. Chizik, asked if it was fair to say PPL has a long way to catch up, Chizik said: ``Yes, that would be very fair to say."
- Kodi Burns said he's still working at quarterback, under the auspices of offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, after each practice. Burns spends practice playing wideout.
- Auburn's practice didn't end util 9:30 tonight. That's pretty late for college students who (presumably) need to study at least a little. Chizik said he's going late tonight and tomorrow to help avoid snags with class schedules. He is planning to move practices up to 5 p.m. or so beginning Friday.
- WR Anthony Gulley said he "expected to redshirt" this season, but said he has been practicing with the first-team offense fairly often. He also is playing "behind" Mario Fannin in the sense that Gulley is shuttling between the 2 (outside wideout) and 3 ("H" back) positions like his more muscly teammate.
- LB Joshua Bynes, in a rare move, gave a "you'll have to ask Coach Roof" when asked who is playing behind him at middle linebacker. That makes me think nobody is playing behind him.
- Chizik said freshman S Daren Bates is challenging for a starting job. Keep in mind: Bates was a 2-star recruit.
That's all I have for now.