Auburn update, 6/30
Updated @ 9:15 p.m.
MONDAY NIGHT SYNOPSIS
- Mark Gangloff finished second in the 100m breast and you know what that means: He's headed to Beijing. This will be his second Olympics.
- Maggie Bird finished seventh in the 400m free finals. No dice.
- Margaret Hoelzer finished third in the 100m back and has qualified for the finals. She was only .05 seconds behind superstar Natalie Coughlin for second. Finals roll on Tuesday.
MONDAY MORNING SYNOPSIS
- Maggie Bird was the story as far as I'm concerned. She knocked more than 5 seconds off her qualifying time in the 400m free and made the finals, which roll tonight on USA Network (7 p.m.). The problem? Bird still is 4 seconds off Katie Hoff's pace. So it goes.
- Auburn will have a lot of representation in the women's 100 back semis tonight. Four swimmers qualified. The top Tiger is Margaret Hoelzer, a backstroke specialist, who posted the third-best time. Margo McCawley, Erica Ewing and Erica Meissner also made the cut. Meissner was awesome. She knocked more than 2 seconds off her best time.
- Two Auburn swimmers qualified for the men's 100 back, though they were right on the threshold.
Prelims: 100m Backstroke (122 competitors)
3 -- Margaret Hoelzer, 1:00.86 ... through to SEMIS
12 -- Margo McCawley, 1:02.08 ... through to SEMIS
13 -- Erica Ewing, 1:02.30 ... through to SEMIS
16 -- Erica Meissner 1:02.31 ... through to SEMIS
20 -- Julianna McLane, 1:02.50
53 -- Melissa Marik 1:03.53
Prelims: 400m Freestyle (88 competitors)
7 -- Maggie Bird, 4:09.73 ... through to FINALS
52 -- Chelsea Haser, 4:19.21
71 -- Micah Martindale, 4:21.29
DNS -- Julianne McLane
Prelims: 100m Breaststroke (105 competitors)
19 -- Melanie Roberts, 1:10.16
31 -- Abby MacGregor, 1:10.87
54 -- Julie Stupp, 1:11.90
65 -- Kara Denby, 1:12.28
Prelims: 200m Freestyle (84 competitors)
22 -- Joey Schneider, 1:49. 42
25 -- Doug Van Wie, 1:49.64
39 -- Will Dove, 1:51.18
Prelims: 100m Backstroke (84 competitors)
14 -- James Wike, 55.31 ... through to SEMIS
16 -- Doug Van Wie, 55.45 ... through to SEMIS
20 -- Kohlton Norys, 55.76
44 -- Max Murphy, 57.11
50 -- Scott Goodrich, 57.22
LOOKING AHEAD TO MONDAY NIGHT
- USA Network will be televising three finals tonight beginning at 7 p.m. CDT.
- (ON TV) The men's 100m breast finals includes two former Tigers: No. 2 seed Mark Gangloff and No. 3 seed Eric Shanteau.
- (ON TV) The women's 400m free includes Auburn junior Maggie Bird, who had the seventh-best time in this morning's heats.
- (NOT ON TV) The women's 100m back semis will include three Auburn swimmers.
- (NOT ON TV) The men's 100m back semis will include two former Auburn swimmers.
BLOGGING IN PROGRESS