Belated Tuesday night report
- Gus Malzahn on Auburn's pace, which didn't satisfy him last week: ``we’re wanting to snap the football as fast as we can and keep the hammer down and not give them time to look up."
- Malzahn on if he'll use TB Eric Smith this weekend: ``We’ll just have to see. It’s hard to say right now. We’re just kinda moving him around."
- LB Craig Stevens on the beat-writer squabble he witnessed a few weeks back: ``I thought they were playing at first. I didn't know what to believe. I thought I was getting punked."
- Stevens on his performance against Louisiana Tech: ``The first half, I'm not gonna lie. I was tired in the first half because I had to run down on the first kickoff and then they had a long drive right after that. It took me a while to get my breath back. Once I got my breath back and got my second wind, I was OK."
- OL Andrew McCain on the task ahead: ``Our goal is to get to Atlanta and win in Atlanta. Mississippi State comes in with a really good defense. They play fast. They play physical. We've got a challenge ahead of us and we're in a situation where this is one practical step we can take toward our goal.
- McCain on the team's approach heading into the Louisiana Tech game: ``Coach Chizik made a point before we left LaGrange to ride over here for the game … that people were going to watch us and people are going to her about us and how that game went. Based on that, they're going to make judgments on who we are. It's the same thing in life: People either see you do something or hear about something you did and they're making judgments on who you are.
- McCain on why coaches seem almost grumpy this week: ``They don't want anybody to get ahead of themselves. It's one game and there's a whole lot more to come. It's one of those things where we said: We're going to enjoy this (on) Saturday night. That's the fruit of all the labor we've put in. Then the labor starts over again the next day."
- Kodi Burns on the "Wildcat" formation: ``I definitely think it has a lot more potential for it to be better than it was. If you notice, the guys who were tackling either Onterio or me were in the secondary. I guess it’s a pretty good sign we can get on those guys. We just have to be able to make them miss and go all the way. With the Wildcat, I think we’re just scratching the surface."
Photo credit: Todd Van Emst/Auburn University