Nuggets from The Football Coach
Here's a basic rundown.
- DE Cameron Henderson is off the team. He is not in school. That's a wrap. To make a nebulous story clear, he became cross-ways of the coaching staff last summer and his road to redemption, as it were, was mighty narrow.
- LB Spencer Pybus, LB Adam Herring and OT Vance Smith will not return to the field. Ever. They have been dealing with chronic medical issues. ``Those are three great, great kids who love football," Chizik said. ``You have to look at what your quality of life is going to be 30 years from now. Medically, it was their decision to stop playing."
- Chizik said he has not been contacted by Louisiana Tech or any other school regarding offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn. A few LTU websites reported that Malzahn was interviewing there today, but he's attending the Auburn-Kentucky basketball game.
- Chizik on his staff: ``I've talked to all of our assistant coaches. My goal is being able to keep all of our coaching staff in tact. There has been no official contact that I know about. I fully anticipate having our staff fully back together."
- Chizik said S Aairon Savage has applied for a sixth season of eligibility. He has missed the past two years because of leg injuries. Former DL Tez Doolittle made the same appeal for the same problems two years ago and was granted the sixth season. He found out in March.