Hey everyone. The Tigers have ended their 2-hour practice. Here is what we learned.
- Signee Shon Coleman, a highly rated offensive tackle, has been diagnosed with an unusual medical condition. It is treatable. Research suggests >80% of people under the age of 25 diagnosed with the condition are cured. Coach Gene Chizik acknowledged that Coleman is dealing with a "medical issue" and that he's been in contact with Coleman. It's unclear how this situation will affect Coleman's career.
- Recall that this could be the third consecutive year that an Auburn signee has been sidelined with a non-football issue ... DE Andre Wadley in 2008 and OL Aubrey Phillips in 2009.
- Assistant coach Curtis Luper was quick to point out that Mario Fannin isn't yet the team's No. 1 tailback. He's simply competing for the job along with Onterio McCalebb and Dontae Aycock.
- Aycock missed practice today because he is ill.
- Fannin said he still thinks about that South Florida game from 2007, which saw him lose two fumbles. He believes that was supposed to be his "break-out" game and that his career would have developed differently without the fumbles.
- Assistant coach Trooper Taylor said DeAngelo Benton has made significant progress since last season and now is exhibiting reliability previously demonstrated only by Darvin Adams and Terrell Zachery.
- Demond Washington seems content with his recent move back to cornerback. His speed, size and lateral quickness seem to be a better play at that position. The Tallassee native moonlighted at safety in 2009 because of injuries and depth problems.