Your Big Cat Weekend update
Baseball regional? Oh, yeah? That wasn't what I meant.
Big Cat Weekend II: Electric Boogaloo begins tomorrow with what (at initial glance) promises to be a swell array of football prospects. We know Arkansas quarterback Kiehl ("Kyle") Frazier will be there. We also believe Arkansas offensive lineman Mitch Smothers will attend.
Anyone else? Absolutely. Can I identify them? Not right now.
The HABOTN spoke with Auburn recruiting czar Curtis Luper about what to expect this weekend.
- On how many kids will attend: "We don't know yet. It'll be a work in progress."
- On turning away kids who have come forward and asked for an invitation: ``No is not something that's really in our vocabulary. We don't want it to be 400 kids because we can't manage it. We try to keep it as small and manageable as possible."
- On changes Auburn is expected to make to BCW this time around: ``We got a lot of feedback from the guys on our team now, our new freshmen, who were part of Big Cat last year. They all had ideas of stuff we should do. Pie eating and watermelon eating contests that we did last year were big. Auburn is known as a family place, so it'll be like another family reunion."
- On fielding new suggestions: ``The suggestions come from everywhere now. Not just our players or former players. We're talking about a couple of secretaries, people in airports. We want to do the best that we can do show Auburn for what it is. We heard some crazy ideas, but a few of them actually were really smart. Some of them made us laugh."
- On which ones made him laugh: ``You wouldn't believe them."
- On the most important part from a recruiting perspective: ``There are some guys who had some strong bonds from that particular weekend that carried over into the season and after the season. Subsequently, some of those guys are on our football team. The big thing was the uniqueness of the weekend and those guys being part of the initial Big Cat … that's the sense that we got."
Photo credit: Todd Van Emst/Auburn University
Questions? Comments? Post directly to the blog below or email me at email@example.com.