Scrimmage Two, 8/16
NOTE: Media wasn't permitted inside the stadium. I have to report on what coach Tommy Tuberville and eight designated players said about the event.
I'm OK with that philosophically, which we have discussed. If I'm a reader, I want numbers. Now you know why numbers aren't here. Thanks for your continued understanding.
Here are some Things You Need To Know:
- The offense scored on at least its first two possessions. C Jason Bosley said they scored a touchdown on the first possession and a field goal on the second. ``It was a blur after that," he said.
- Defenders said there were a lot of missed tackles today. DC Paul Rhoads counted 26 last week. LB Chris Evans said he's worried there were more than 26 today. ``I would say the two weeks of training camp really showed today. That's not an excuse but you could really see it. We need to get back to being tough mentally and physically," Evans said.
- WR Philip Pierre-Louis (aka Frenchy, pictured above) was the offensive star. Players on both sides of the ball said Pierre-Louis was working the defense. Johnson said he missed a tackle against No. 82.Here's what Tuberville said: ``He's not a big target, but the quarterbacks have a lot of confidence in him. There were other guys who made plays. Just standing out there and watching, the guy who made the consistent plays was him (Pierre-Louis.)"
- As crudup noted, TB Ben Tate had "about a 60-yard run" (Bosley) and WR Rod Smith scored on what Smith described as a 50-yard pass. He was said to have been working against freshman CB D'Antoine Hood.
- Smith said QB Kodi Burns "tagged off" his original route (a comeback) and requested that Smith run a stutter-and-go on the touchdown pass. Smith beat freshman DB D'Antoine Hood for the score.
- Tuberville: ``Defensively, there really wasn't anybody who stood out."
- Tuberville seemed satisfied with the two quarterbacks' play. Not impressed; just satisfied.
- DE Jomarcus Savage injured a shoulder in the scrimmage. Tuberville doesn't believe the injury is serious.
- RG Bart Eddins, who injured a shoulder during practice this week, is expected to miss only a week. He was examined by Birmingham-based orthopedist James Andrews. No damage was found.
I reached what I consider a crescendo of my Project Gotham Racing 4 career last night. I finally gathered 1,000,000 Kudos points and "bought" the Million Kudos gamer picture. Yay me.
Questions? Comments? Post directly to the blog below or email me at email@example.com.