Moving into Sunday
We went way beyond that several times during the search. Thanks for your support.
HOTTIES > everyone else on Earth.
Enough of that. Let's get to business.
Gene Chizik is the Auburn coach and that's that. As a casual glance through our comments section will show, opinions are pretty split about this hire.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of this hire as I see them.
ON THE PLUS SIDE:
- He has Auburn ties (SEC ties by default) and was an important part of the 2004 team that went 13-0.
- He won a national title at Texas in 2005.
- Defensive-minded guys always are welcomed at Auburn.
- He's a disciplinarian.
- He's passionate.
- He went 5-19 as head coach at Iowa State.
- He probably was one poor year away from being fired there. The popular web site Coaches' Hot Seat listed Chizik as the nation's third most in-jeopardy coach. He was not a hot property.
- He has no offensive identity.
- Auburn will take a public-relations hit for turning down Turner Gill, a relatively successful black head coach, to hire a relatively unsuccessful white head coach.
INTERESTING READ: Matt Hayes of Sporting News, a guy whose work I respect, writes this morning that Auburn hired Chizik because of The Lowder Influence.
PLANE CRAZY: Chizik is due back in Auburn later today for a meeting with players. Auburn's newest jet left AUO early this morning and currently is stationed in Ames, Iowa.
UPDATE: Flight is due to arrive at AUO at 5:10 p.m.
Photo credit: Todd Van Emst/Auburn University
Questions? Comments? Post directly to the blog below or email me at email@example.com.