Practice report, No. 5
What did we learn today? Not a lot. Here's a representation:
- Defensive coordinator Ted Roof was slow to discuss what has impressed him about S Mike McNeil. After a relatively long pause, Roof identified experience as McNeil's chief strength. That seems like a bad sign for McNeil's chances.
- Roof said Auburn's defensive struggles last season has motivated him on a personal level.
- Roof said he's happy with the way LB Eltoro Freeman has progressed since last season.
- Roof indicated that T'Sharvan Bell -- known around here exclusively as "Tee" Bell -- will stick at cornerback. He played safety during his first two seasons at Auburn.
- Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said TB Mario Fannin has demonstrated "more focus" toward becoming an marquee tailback, though he also praised Onterio McCalebb.
- DE Nosa Eguae, who is playing behind Mike Goggans right now, said he missed last season because of a stress fracture in his left foot. The injury didn't require surgery, but it caused enough discomfort to force a redshirt season. He didn't make the official decision, he said, until the LSU game. He tried to run without his immobilization boot and ... it didn't go well.
- Eguae said he's only gained five pounds or so since his arrival last summer -- he's listed at 245 -- but he said his weight has been re-distributed to his satisfaction.
- DE Dee Ford is happy to be here. He's been trying to gain weight, which has left him feeling "bloated" a lot.