Gene Chizik and Cam Newton speak
Here are the highlights:
- Newton on how he found out: ``I didn't know they were going to announce it when they announce it. I was working out and Rick came down and got me and said, 'Go meet with Coach Chizik and coach Malzahn.' My first thought was I ain't did nothing wrong. So I was kind of nervous at first. When they told me, I just wanted to scream. I had to keep my composure."
- Newton on the emotions he felt at that moment: ``Words can't even imagine how I felt. I felt jittery. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know if he wanted me to say something or just wanted to see my reaction on my face. I wanted to smile, but I didn't want to smile because he'd probably thought I was just joking around. But I was happy inside. I was full of joy."
- Chizik on how Newton's has responded since arriving in January: ``One of the things that I've really liked since Cameron has been here is he's come in here, he's not talked a lot, he's not told everyone what he's going to do. He's just come in here and basically closed his mouth and went to work. He's worked really hard. He took very hard coaching. We were very demanding and very specific on what we were asking him to do."
- Chizik on why they just named a starter ... after watching these guys for a month: ``We tried to just go through spring and stay very open-minded about giving everybody their shot. I think as spring unfolds, you can see in scrimmages and some things that are kind of things you can't coach -- the leadership things."
- Chizik said it's his understanding that Tyrik Rollison will not be back. That's the first time Chizik ever has said anything even semi-official about the Texas Twister.