Hey everyone. Practice ended a while back. Here are some things we learned.
- As predicted in the earlier blog entry, Auburn held a short situational scrimmage this morning. All I know is that DeAngelo Benton caught a touchdown pass from an unidentified quarterback. That's what linebacker Craig Stevens said. Benton and his strong-armed accomplice beat Demond Washington for the score.
- Guess what? Gus Malzahn still hasn't made any firm decisions at quarterback. They're still repping four guys and seem content to keep strolling down that path for a bit longer.
- There have been some changes at linebacker, though I think they're being done in the name of versatility. Eltoro Freeman currently is Josh Bynes' backup at middle linebacker. Ashton Richardson, a walk-on, is behind Stevens on the strong side. Jess Curry is behind Jonathan Evans on the weak side. Big changes will come down during two-a-days when a few more scholarship guys (most notably Harris Gaston and LaDarius Owens) move into the fray.
- Phillip Lutzenkirchen said he's been working at a hybrid/H-back position along with Robert Cooper and Eric Smith. The way he said it made me think the "tight end" may be a transient concept in Malzahn's offense. That's not to say there won't be tight ends. I just think that job description has become more broad and Lutzenkirchen is being asked to adjust.
- T'Sharvan Bell said he loves playing cornerback. He had been at safety until late last season.