Practice Five (8/6)
- CB Aairon Savage, as reported earlier, is out for the season. Coach Tommy Tuberville said doctors surgically repaired Savage's right knee this afternoon. Walt McFadden was running with the first-team defense today.
- Practice began late because of rain and was cut short because of lightning. They worked from around 5 p.m. until 6:35. It was the first day of full-pads contact.
- C Jason Bosley was injured during the pass-rush drill. He grabbed at his lower back and was off to the Athletic Complex within a few minutes. ``If you're a big lineman out here in this heat, you're going to twist something," Tuberville said.
- Freshman CB Harry Adams made a nice interception during 1-on-1 drills. The throw was a fade route from QB Chris Todd to WR Phillip Pierre-Louis.
- WR Terrell Zachery made his way just beyond S Zac Etheridge and caught a great pass from freshman QB Barrett Trotter for a touchdown. Really nice play all the way around.
- Neiko Thorpe looks like a player to me. He gets beat sometimes, but he's almost always near his man.
- Another guy who impressed me is DT Derrick Lykes. He fires off with a lot of aggression, which is exactly how Sen'Derrick Marks opened his career at Auburn.
- I'll report results from the pass-rush drills in a bit.
- Auburn is holding a two-a-day tomorrow. Early practice starts at 7:15 a.m. and is expected to be the more aggressive of the two. The late show begins at 4:15 p.m.
Here are your results from today's pass-rush drill. Keep in mind that defenders have the advantage here. I occasionally award an "E" for even ... which generally happens when a defensive lineman gets a good push, but is forced too far outside.
Raven Gray (43) vs. Andrew McCain (75) -- 75, 75
Sen'Derrick Marks (94) vs. Tyronne Green (71) -- 94, 94
Mike Blanc (93) vs. Jason Bosley (68) -- 68
**Bosley leaves the drill while clutching his lower back.
Blanc (93) vs. Clay Clark (67) -- 93
Jake Ricks (91) vs. Byron Isom (57) -- 91 (knock Isom backward on his rear), 57, 57
Antoine Carter (45) vs. Ryan Pugh (50) -- 45, 45
**Nobody can even engage him. He swings his arm and he's gone.
Cam Henderson (92) vs. Pugh (50) -- 50
Jomarcus Savage (47) vs. Jared Cooper (79) -- 47, 79, 79
Derrick Lykes (97) vs. Kyle Coulahan (58) -- 97, E, 58
Cameron Hunt (70) vs. Pugh (50 @ center) -- E, 50
Marks (94) vs. Bart Eddins (53) -- 94, 94
Henderson (92) vs. Mike Berry (66) -- 66, 66
Gray (43) vs. McCain (75) -- 75, 75
Hunt (70) vs. Charles Bates (62) -- 62
Lykes (97) vs. Andrew Parmer (72) -- 97, 72
Ricks (91) vs. Isom (57) -- 57, 57
Carter (45) vs. Pugh (50) -- 45, 45
Savage (47) vs. Cooper (79) -- 47, 79
Lykes (97) vs. Parmer (72) -- 97
Click the pic for more detail...
This is Ryan Pugh getting beaten by Antoine Carter.
This is Raven Gray getting pushed way too far outside by Andrew McCain.
This is Derrick Lykes going at it with Kyle Coulahan.
This is Jake Ricks and Byron Isom dueling. Note that Isom is in almost ideal position. He "won" this one.