Halftime ... and Third Quarter
The offense was just short of dominant. Fourteen points isn't awe-inspiring, but two fumbles near the goal line undermined a pair of productive drives. Defense? Dominant. Check the numbers.
AUBURN 24, USM 6: TE Shawn Nelson scores on a 1-yard pass from Austin Davis. Drive covered only 25 yards. An errant pass from Kodi Burns was intercepted, giving USM lovely field position. Two-point conversion failed.
AUBURN 24, USM 0: Kodi Burns scores on a 1-yard run. He came in for the final snap of a 12-play drive. It covered 75 yards.
AUBURN 17, USM 0: Wes Byrum hits a 52-yard FG. That's a career best. His previous best was 49 yards against South Florida last year. Drive covered minus-2 yards in four plays.
- Kodi Burns now in at quarterback to begin the third quarter. Todd regained the starting role during the second drive.
- Southern Miss currently has nine drives to its credit. Six of them have been three-and-outs. Only one USM drive has progressed beyond the AU 45.
- Southern Miss has 24 rushing yards. Total.
- Auburn's defense opened the season with 102 minutes of shutout work.
- Robert Dunn appeared to score on a punt return, but the play was diluted by an illegal block. I'm not sure who was responsible for the penalty.
- Tristan Davis went down with an injury. He's getting treatment on his right ankle. Doesn't look particularly serious. They're taping it up now ... I'm guessing a relatively mild sprain. He returned a few minutes later on kickoff return.
AT THE HALF
AUBURN: 230 (63 run, 167 pass)
USM: 83 (21 run, 62 pass)
Chris Todd: Playing well
Kodi Burns: Not playing. See above.