LIVE -- Chizik/Jacobs press conference @ 1 o'clock
JAY JACOBS OPENS:
- "He impressed upon us his blueprint to move Auburn football in the future."
- "He was on the path at Iowa State to turn that program around."
GENE CHIZIK SPEAKS
- "This is a very special day in my life. Jay, let me assure you: You hired the right guy."
- "It was amazing how on the same page we were."
- He's complimenting all the new stuff Auburn has built since he left in early 2005.
- "There are so many things that indicate Auburn has a vision."
- "The Auburn people? The Auburn way? I get it. I've been to some great places and not one matches the passion, enery and excitement of Auburn and these Auburn people."
- "It's not just about championships. It's about the whole thing."
- "Shortly after this is over, (recruiting) is where you'll see me. Today. We're going to recruit tirelessly, 24/7. We're going to work."
- "I've made many great, great relationships with high-school coaches in this state. We're going to start in this great state of Alabama where football is very important."
- "We have no secrets here. We'll have an open door for high-school coaches ... and particularly in this state."
- "I want the Auburn football players ... to feel like they're back into an Auburn family. Some may feel it. Some may not. I don't know what's out there. I want all those guys to come back."
- "We're going to move this thing in the right direction."
- On the staff: "I have one goal: To make sure we bring in the best football coach/person/recruiter out there. That's my commitment."
- On his offensive style: "It's 200 years old. On offense right now, you've got to run the football. That doesn't mean we're not going to throw the football. It means that you have to be physical. That doesn't pigeonhole me into any one offense. So many offenses are not one-dimensional anymore."
- On his troubles at ISU: "When I took that job, I was ready to be a head coach. I had done everything I could do as an assistant coach. I was ready. It's not like I walked into that thing and didn't think it was a challenge. I had a blueprint in place. I put it in effect. I never deviated from that one bit."
- How can he win over the fans?: "That answer is really easy. You have to win. There's going to be skepticism no matter who you hire. At the end of the day, what I do know is that this was the right hire for Auburn. I understand this place. I understand these people. I understand how to recruit it."
- Why leave four years ago?: "My desire was to be a head coach. University of Texas had a great track record of moving guys on to jobs. I made the move. If I hadn't made that move, maybe I wouldn't be standing here today."
- Staff revisited: "I've got a plan in place. I've got a really good sense of where I'm going. Some of (the candidates) are still coaching."
- Initial reaction to being hired: "My initial reaction was `War Eagle.' It happened fast."
- Joe Whitt Sr. is recruiting now. Phillip Lolley and Jimmy Perry as well.
- "I love recruiting. I can't wait."
- On Tuberville: "I have not talked to Tommy. I had a great three years here. I was very appreciative of Tommy letting me do my job. There's a fine line between coaching and meddling. I don't plan on micromanaging coordinators. That's why they were hired. I'm going to be out there and I'm going to be coaching."
- "The expectations of the people aren't any higher than mine. My expectations are very high."
- "Last season was a situation I hadn't experienced. We played with 11 true freshmen. We kept persevering. We learned a lot. I learned a lot."
- Head coaches are big recruiters now: "That's who I have to be. When this is over, I'm hitting the road. I'm out of here. I'll spear-head that effort."
- Last night's meeting: "We had a great meeting last night. I let them understand their leader is someone who loves Auburn. I love this place. You need to love the game. We'll hit this thing together."
- Why are you the right guy for the job?: "I love Auburn. I know the importance of football at Auburn. I know the importance of football in Alabama. I get that. The coaches that know me in this state and the coaches who know me out of this state -- they know about my Auburn ties."
JAY JACOBS UP AGAIN
- Surprised by negative reaction?: "I know the Auburn people are going to come together and know that Gene is the right man for Auburn.
- Didn't acknowledge any other candidates.
- "We didn't necessarily have a pecking order. We had a list of candidates we wanted to get to and he was on it."
- "He'll re-energize Auburn with his physical, smash-mouth brand of football. All Auburn people will come together."
- "We have agreed to terms in principle."
- Said Jay Gogue couldn't make this meeting due to a schedule conflict.
- "We didn't compromise our integrity during this search. I went through the front door. We're not going to through agents and all that stuff."
- Discussing Carr & Associates.
- How many interviews?: Won't say who and how many. "Gene was the only one I introduced the president to."
- "There were certain people who declined to interview. Maybe that just weeded out some of the faint-hearted."
- "We wanted someone who was a relentless recruiter, a guy with unbelievable character and integrity, someone who has been in the SEC and had been successful, somebody who has a passion for football -- Auburn football -- and his family."
- Is money no object for assistant coaches?: "No object. Auburn people expect nothing less."
THAT'S A WRAP