Auburn 63, Furman 31
Auburn was totally dominating the game to lengths I haven't seen since 2004. Then the second-team defense goes in the game and Furman kinda-sorta built a kinda-sorta challenge.
I mean, the Paladins scored four touchdowns during the second half. That Auburn defense wasn't the Auburn defense you know.
Anyway, here's what jumped out at me:
- Furman was 0-for-7 on third down during the first half.
- Furman had zero rushing yards in the first half.
- Auburn had 30 first downs to Furman's 15.
- Auburn finished with 655 yards.
- Anthony Gulley was Auburn's leading rusher with 77 yards (on five carries).
- Furman head coach Bobby Lamb: ``We obviously could not stop Auburn in
the first half, their pace of the offense gave us trouble even though we
worked on it all week in practice. They were hitting on all cylinders
and they were very difficult to defend. Chris Todd was making so many
great decisions, getting the ball spread around and going 17-for-18 with
only one incomplete pass. They made some big plays."
- Auburn WR/TB/CB Anthony Gulley: ``“I did not play with the offense all week, I played with the defense. Coach told me after the half that he was going to put me on offense, so I ran a little reverse and then he put me in the backfield. It was great to score a touchdown, especially since it was the first of my career.”
- TB Ben Tate: ``“It was a great day. We came out and did what we were supposed to do. We really played well as a team. Everybody had their head in the game and there’s nothing else to say. We did what we had to do.”
- S Daren Bates: ``"It's big for us. We need everyone to step up for Zac (Etheridge). People are going to have to fill in some places. It's good to be able to have some more people with that experience with the two games left on our schedule. They will be tough matchups for us."
- Bates on painting "ZAC" on his left arm: ``I just wanted to … show him that I love him and I still want to be out there with him."
- D'Angelo Benton, who caught six balls on Saturday: ``I feel like nobody can stop me now. I've got my confidence all the way up now so you all are going to see a lot from me."
- Ted Rüf on Gulley and Auburn's defensive needs: ``We're searching everywhere. We're looking under every rock, every nook and cranny, trying to find some more guys. We're just so thin right now. He's an emergency guy. It looked like he did some good things out there."
Questions? Comments? Post directly to the blog below or email me at email@example.com.