Your late update, 11/8
- Auburn apparently will make a change at punt returner this weekend. Freshman Anthony Gulley, who was fired from the gig earlier this season, was fielding punts Sunday along with junior Demond Washington. That could be curtains for Philip Pierre-Louis, who had two negative returns and a fumble against Furman.
- WR Darvin Adams (right) grew up in Mississippi, but played high-school ball in Marietta, Ga. He garnered some recruiting interest from Georgia, but let's say it wasn't exactly reciprocated.
``I'm not too much of a Georgia fan. I really didn't like Georgia. I think every letter I got from Georgia, I don't think I even read it. I guess it was because being in Georgia, everybody was a Georgia fan. I like being an underdog."
- Defensive coordinator Ted Roof said he played 31 guys on defense against Furman. That included some guys who, um, maybe weren't made to play defense.
``Some guys that were wide receivers, some guys that were scout team offensive tackles, offensive guards, jumped out there and got some reps for us. But what I saw is I saw us play very well as a first group, and then get the game where we need to get it."
- Roof on how he coached guys who didn't play defense: ``We were doing some old-time country coaching."
- I sometimes throw out long-shot questions hoping for nuggets. I caught one Sunday night after asking tailback Ben Tate how he sells Auburn to recruits.
``It's easy to sell now. It's pretty easy to sell this year. I just be real with the guys. I let them know how things are going to be. Either they like it or they don't. I try to say the right things, but sometimes I don't know what that is. When you go to see Coach Yox, it's not going to be fun. I'm telling you that right now. You're going to work. If you want to be good and you want to work, that won't bother you."
- You've seen Mario Fannin getting more carries these days after spending the first seven games as a receiver. He's willing to do what is asked of him, but it's clear that Fannin's career goals don't involve him lining up at tailback all the time.
``Being able to show that versatility, I've been told helps out in the long run. Being able to play both (positions) is great for me."
Questions? Comments? Post directly to the blog below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.