My top 10 list
Mama always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on.
It was a rocky year for everyone in a lot of ways. The upside, of course, is that the HABOTN expanded well beyond my expectations. You all have made my job significantly more enjoyable. Without that jolt of enthusiasm, I probably would be out of the business by now. You guys make my job fun.
OK. Enough with that. Let's talk about something ... fun.
MY OFFICIAL TOP 10 AUBURN MOMENTS OF THE YEAR
- The two hours after Tuberville resigned. (11/3/08)
- Tony Franklin saying he would boo himself.
"Well, they should. Hell, if I was them, I'd boo. I'd boo me. I'd be angry. Everybody's expectations were high. My expectations were high. Hell, if I was a paying fan I'd be pissed. This product has not been good, and it was my product. I don't blame them for being upset. I don't take it personal. When they said how wonderful you were, I didn't take that personal because I knew it wasn't true. I said all along that I wasn't very smart and y'all thought I was joking. Now you know. It's pretty true." (9/28/08)
- Watching Tony Franklin pack his car in front of the complex after being fired.
*The grad/student assistants later chided us for taking Franklin's "dignity" by taking pictures of the situation. Franklin DID THAT ON PURPOSE, fellas. (10/8/08)
- Realizing that Gene Chizik was Auburn's choice.
I knew the "winner" would be someone off the map, but I didn't know just how far off the map Auburn would go. (12/13/08)
- Ryan Pugh's interview about the offense after the Vanderbilt game.
"Just getting away from what we were successful at in the game is just frustrating as a player. But we have no control over that." (10/5/08)
- Ben Tate's interview about the quarterback situation.
"Everybody's got their own opinions on it. I'm not really going to say mine. I think everybody can pretty much see who should be the guy out there." (8/24/08)
- Tony Franklin calling himself a "dumbass" after the Tennessee game.
"It might be the dumbest call I've made in 10 years. It's a third-and-short call, not a third-and-long call. I was being a total dumbass. That's what I was." (9/27/08)
- Getting caught in the media tent during a two-a-days rainstorm.
*Goldberg has footage of this debacle. Everyone (wisely) left just before the rain came. I thought being under a tent was a good idea when the rain came. Goldberg and Jeffrey Lee concurred. Then wind toppled the tent and we were had lads.(8/14/08)
- Tez Robertson on Frank Tolbert being posterized on a dunk against Xavier.
"You just have to own up to it." (1/6/08)
- Tez Robertson on what he'll do after ditching the headband that covered his forehead gash.
"I'll be regular ol' Tez without a headband."