Thoughts on the depth chart
- Hot Carter not in the picture: I thought he seemed healthy last time I saw him on a practice field, so I'm not sure what to make of this. Chizik was asked about Carter and I found his answer intriguing:
Again, I don’t go into the injury situation, but right now, we don’t anticipate him playing on Saturday.”Notice that he doesn't say it's an injury situation. Those are two separate statements.
- Dee Ford as a backup: It's a misnomer. Sure, Ford technically is Antonio Coleman's backup. When Coleman comes off the field, though, don't look for Ford unless it's third-and-long. I think Zach Clayton and/or Nick Fairley will play that spot before Ford's name is discussed.
- DeAngelo Benton as a backup: Not exactly. The depth chart presented below is based on a two-receiver set. That won't happen very often. When Auburn uses three wides, Benton will be in the game.
- The second-tier linebackers: Ouch. I don't think Jonathan Evans is healthy. Harris Gaston is another freshman who missed time with an injury. Adam Herring practiced last week for the first time since November. I can't imagine Ted Roof feeling good about the situation here.
- Eltoro Freeman: Is he ready to play at an acceptable level? We're supposed to talk with him tonight. I'll report back.
UNRELATED NOTE: I saw Eric Smith in front of the Athletic Complex this afternoon. He seemed in good spirits. Same for Aubrey Phillips.