Auburn 33, Ole Miss 20
Chris Todd looked effective. The pass rush was aggressive. Eltoro Freeman was a swell run-stopped. Ole Miss converted only 3 of its 15 third-down situations.
Not too shabby for a team not expected to win today.
Here's what Auburn is saying ...
- Gene Chizik on his team: ``I can't give our football team enough credit. The question that everybody wanted to know was -- How is your football team going to respond in a tough time? I think today is a great example of the way they were going to respond. They willed that win. That was a very, very good football team that we beat tonight and our kids deserved it because they never quit fighting. It doesn't surprise anybody in our locker room. That's who they are. I thought tonight proved to a lot of people that we were going to contend and fight."
- Ted Roof on how he's talked to his unit recently: ````You don't sugar coat it. You tell them the truth," Roof said. ``At the same time, when you lose, you also tell them what they did good. There’s some things they do good. It's hard not to get too low, because it just rips your guts out. I'm just proud of the way they responded."
- Ben Tate on cracking the 1,000-yard barrier: ````That's good to surpass 1,000 yards. It's even better than I did it in a game that we won. I'm happy about that," he said. ``I want to congratulate my offensive line. Maybe I'll take them out or something like that."
- Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt on Antonio Coleman: ``Coleman played on a whole different level today. He was on a different level that what we saw on film. We had a hard time with him, then we had to chip him a little bit. It takes away a receiver."
- Players were told that Zac Etheridge's x-rays showed no structural damage. Several players said they were led to believe Etheridge would be discharged from East Alabama Medical Center on Sunday.
- Walt McFadden ... telling it like it is: ``We needed this. Maybe some of us were feeling sorry for ourselves. Today they showed that we believe in each other, we know we can play. This is not last year. We're not fixin' to give up, we're not going to point fingers, we're not fixin' to say we need a new quarterback, we need a new running back, we're not fixin' to say anything. We're just going to go out every week and play how we always play."