Days to kickoff: 8
HAPPY CALVIN JACKSON DAY!!!
Calvin Jackson, a native of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., was a standout cornerback for Auburn 1992 and 1993. He was named All-SEC during his final season.
No Hottie will ever forget his 96-yard, momentum-changing interception return against the Gators in 1993. What would have been a 17-0 deficit became a much more manageable 10-7 deficit and lit the fire the Tigers needed to torch the Gators 38-35.
That game was serious excitement. So what did the PICK SIX look like from my seat? I have no idea. Disgusted at the thought of the Gators scoring yet again, I went to get THTJr the hot dog he had requested much earlier. The deafening roar that arose left little doubt what had happened.
When I returned with the dogs & drinks, my next major decision: Do I sit and watch the game or do I go back to the concourse so Auburn can score again? Thankfully, my position had no bearing on the outcome and I was able to watch one of the most thrilling victories ever at Jordan-Hare.
Mr. Jackson's return is the second-longest in school history. The longest was in Digger's and IV's childhood days when John Liptak had a 98-yard INT return against Georgia.
* Cooper Wallace: Nashville, Tenn.; TE 2002-05.
* Shayne Wasden: Selma, Ala.; WR 1988-90; ACADEMIC ALL-SEC in 1990.
* Stanford Simmons: Ashland, Ala.; FS 1999-01.
* Jerry Beasley: Montgomery, Ala.; CB 1977-80; yes, Terry's brother.
* Chris Knapp: Americus, Ga.; PK 1985-87; leading scorer in 1986; ranks 6th in career PAT pct (62/63).
* Jerraud "Jerrard" Powers: Decatur, Ala., CB 2005-08. Very good player.