Gene Chizik speaks, 10/25
- On the quarterback situation: ``We're not going to make a change this week. After going back and looking at it, obviously we would have loved for the offensive production to be better than it was. We're in the month of October. We knew it was going to be a tough month. We're to that point where we've got to execute better. Chris had a lot of pressure on him last night. We still think Chris gives us the best chance to win. It's not that our offense has not done it. We have. We're against competition in this league that's at a higher level."
- On if defenses are catching on to Gus Malzahn's stuff: ``When you get to game 7, 8, 9 in the year, they've got all your films. Everybody has a really good idea of what everybody is doing. People have a better idea of what we're doing. It still comes down to execution."
- ``There are 1-on-1s at different places where we're losing the battles -- and we need to win those battles."
- On Kodi Burns: ``Kodi got whacked pretty good early, had a couple teeth knocked out. He had to have his lip sewed up. He went out there and continued to play for three more quarters."
- On the final scoring drive: ``I was just glad to see our kids get in there and be determined to go down there and score. I took from it that we're going to keep fighting until the end."
- On Eltoro Freeman: ``He was active. He did a lot of nice things. For really his first full start, where he played all the way through, I was proud that he was able to be as active as he was."
- On Onterio McCalebb: ``We try to use him in the game some. He tries to make a cut and it hurts him. It has taken away a little bit from what we want to do."
- On the run defense: ``As a whole, I think we did make some improvement. The one explosive play was the one odd ball of the night. That one particular run got away from us."
- On Zac Etheridge's personal foul: ``It was basically illegal contact, meaning some type of helmet-to-helmet call."
- On if that was a legit call: ``It was an aggressive hit. There's no question about that."
- On allaying negativity: ``It's like anything -- it's what you choose to hear, what you choose to listen to, it's what you choose to watch. They've got to stay within the structure of our football team. Things you can't control -- you can't listen to that. I hope they weren't listening to it when we were 5-0. Now that we've dropped three and they choose to listen to it … I highly advise them to keep doing the things, to keep working to win."
- On the unusual kickoffs and punts: ``We weren't kicking to No. 8 (Trindon Holliday). The intent was right. We needed to cover them better and needed to kick them better. "
- On Iowa State's 9-7 at Nebraska, which makes the Cyclones 5-3: ``I'm really happy for them. That's great. Those are great kids and they deserve some good things to happen to them."
Photo credit: Todd Van Emst/Auburn University
Questions? Comments? Post directly to the blog below or email me at email@example.com.